Taking a GOOD Look at Ourselves!
Each EdFOCUS Audit is a thorough and objective examination of the current status of a district or school’s activity in comparison to what a district perceives to be the ideal status. EdFOCUS then analyzes the discrepancy between the two, and this gap analysis provides the district a road-map for what it needs to address. Planned with the district in the context of its particular needs, the Audit consists of on-site interviews, observations, and review of key documents
The final report of each Audit documents findings, cites commendations, and makes recommendations to reduce or eliminate the identified “gaps” between the desired and actual status. Although EdFOCUS has a set of protocols for several types of Audits, a combination of Audits is often requested.
An Operations Audit
— to determine the status of the infrastructure to support continuous improvement &
- organizational structures
- support systems
- leadership teams
- job descriptions
- professional development programs
- enrollment management and student services
- district and school climate and culture
- communication systems
- the procurement and use of resources
- monitoring and appraisal practices
- relevant Board Policies and Procedures; etc.
The Curriculum Audit
— to determine the status of WHAT is taught in district classrooms - in each subject and at each grade level
- the extent to which the adopted curriculum is actually the enacted curriculum
- the alignment between the adopted curriculum and state content standards - including a provision for 21st century skills
- the strategy for phasing in the NEW state-adopted content standards
- reflection of valid content and the accurate level of cognitive demand, including higher-order thinking
- learning outcomes that require students to construct meaning for themselves, and apply their learning to real-world contexts
- interdisciplinary connections and
- the inclusion of art, media, and technology; etc.
An Audit of Classroom Practices
— to determine the status of HOW classroom instruction is delivered and assessed
- the planning, delivery, and assessment of classroom instruction
- the consistent use of “best practices,” including congruence among the learning outcome, teaching strategy, and assessments
- planning for differentiation from the outset, rather than after-the fact
- the inclusion of RT
- Tiers I and II
- the level of student engagement
- the construction of meaning
- the use of real-world contexts rather than learning in isolation
- the use of projects, problem-solving, and other performance tasks to demonstrate mastery; etc.
An Assessment Audit
An Assessment Audit
— to determine the status of what tests are given, to whom, and how the results are used
- the use of high-stakes test results to make decisions about curriculum and instruction
- the use of district-level benchmark assessments to continuously monitor student performance
- the validity and appropriateness of classroom tests - including the use of paper-pencil tests that parallel the state’s high-stakes assessments
- the use of valid authentic and performance assessments; etc.
The “Race–to-the Top” Audit
— to determine the correlation between teacher behaviors and student growth
- comparing the measures of student growth to the quantified measures of teacher effectiveness
- identifying how the district measures “teacher effects”
- differentiating the impact of teacher behaviors on students - how the same strategies and teacher behaviors impact students differently; etc.
The “Special Education” Audit
— to determine the effectiveness of the “continuum of services” provided by the district for students with Special Needs
Examines the district’s programs and procedures for providing and monitoring
- Special Education services and
- RTI Tier I and II [ Intervention ] services; included are
- a review of policies and procedures as well as
- in-building practices, and a special focus is placed on
- the collaboration between the Special Education and General Education staff.
Our audits are customized for each school district based on its specific requirements. Please contact us for a personal presentation to review a profile and audit.